Sunday, May 27, 2012

Keep Calm and just Dance


Natalie did her Advanced 1 ballet exam this week. It was the biggest exam she has ever done and required a 1 hr 40min long practical session in front of the examiner. When I saw the challenge at Scrap Africa I thought of these photos right away. The challenge is to scrap a page using the words 'Keep Calm' and finishing the sentence in any way that you wish. I thought how calm and composed my daughter was as she warmed up with her teacher for her big exam. I was so proud of her - I'm not sure that I would have had her control when I was 15!
The papers that I used are from Echo Park's 'Dancer' collection. The colours and ofcourse the theme were just perfect for my photos. I handmade the white flower from silk ribbon that I dyed with Tim Holtz distress inks. I pleated it around a punched circle which I had coated with adhesive. When I had finished I had not added the spray ink, but the page just looked a little bare. So I covered up all my elements as best I could and sprayed the pink ink over a crafters workshop butterfly stencil. A few blobs of ink at the bottom left corner of the of the page balanced it out. I am still not sure that it looks 'finished' but I can keep on adding things to my pages indefinitely !!! -  and I am happy that Natalie now has her big day recorded for years to come :)

7 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

YOu're FUNNY....having to add some masking!!!! I LOVE this page, especially the circle photo in the corner & that flower's VERY impressive. The young 'uns today have it all over our age group as far as confidence goes, I reckon:):) Hope she did well in her exam:)

Cathy Lane said...

Beautiful page Sarah :)

Cathy Lane said...

Had to have another look at your masking and inking and it is so beautifully done and finishes the page off so nicely :))

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh I love it!! Super pretty and it looks totally finished to me! I know what you mean though, I have to restrain myself sometimes... I have an imaginary loudspeaker in my head that commands me to "STEP AWAY FROM THE LAYOUT!!!" - lol! Just like in the movies or something! But of course sometimes I ignore it and go totally nuts! :D :D

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Gorgeous!! Love the masking!

Patricia said...

Oh the happy days of dancing! I love the masked butterfly...well done on adding it and thank you for entering the Scrap Africa challenge!

Evgenia Petzer said...

Sarah, it is so beautiful! love it! thank you so much for laying with us at ScrapAfrica!

Blog Archive